What We Do
Echelon Peoria seeks to mobilize the next generation of The Salvation Army by providing opportunities for young adults to engage with the organization through a variety of service, ministry, fellowship, networking, and fundraising events.
- Service & Volunteering
- Focused on efforts that meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of people living in poverty in our community.
- Dinner with Love is a weekly dinner program at the Sylvia Fites Center in downtown Peoria, providing a hot, fulfilling meal to Salvation Army shelter residents and clients. Echelon Peoria serves every other Monday.
- Life Skills is a monthly class for shelter clients where volunteers teach basic budgeting, money management, job search and interview tips, and the Lord’s message.
- Easter at the Citadel is a fun afternoon for youth in the Citadel neighborhood to hear the Easter story, complete a craft, and participate in an Easter egg hunt.
- Summer’s Last Blast: A Back to School Carnival is a celebration of the end of summer for under privileged youth in the area. Kids have an afternoon of fun with bounce houses, carnival games, and much needed school supplies as prizes.
- Fellowship & Networking
- Build relationships with other emerging professionals while serving the Lord through Echelon and Salvation Army events.
- Red Hot Christmas is our signature event to raise money and awareness for Echelon Peoria, with proceeds benefiting both Echelon and Salvation Army programs. In 2018, Red Hot Christmas raised $32,000, which will be 100% re-invested in the community!
- Red Kettle Bell Ringing is the change for Echelon members to collect donations in the community for The Salvation Army’s annual Red Kettle Campaign.
- Zootober is a family friendly event held at the Peoria Zoo, where families of members and of Salvation Army clients enjoy a day of fun with a scavenger hunt in the zoo, face painter, balloon artist, and take home goodies.
WHY WE DO IT
Echelon Peoria supports The Salvation Army Heartland Division and its efforts to provide shelter, food, clothing, counseling and countless other services to thousands of men, women and children in need. Our membership is motivated by The Salvation Army's mission to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination. Over the past 12 months, The Salvation Army in Peoria:
- Sheltered over 1,834 homeless people, including 164 children
- Provided $114,299 to veterans through Supportive Services for Veteran Families Program
- Distributed $219,991 in financial assistance for rent & utilities to families
- Provided 2,448 Christmas food baskets, providing meals for 5,986 individuals
- Provided 15,505 Christmas gifts to children in need
- Hosted over 1,000 adults & children at Eagle Crest Camp